Monday, November 17, 2008

When knowing just a little bit is too much

The day arrived. I could wait no longer. I had to get my nails done. For 3 years minimum now I have had pink and white acrylic overlay on my nails. The nails grew out so much that I needed a fill. I was ready. Armed with proper pronunciation, a vocabulary sheet and bravery...I ventured out to a nail salon. If you don't know acrylic nails are tough resin cured polymer with a UV cured top coat. To say the least, they are indestructible - At least so I thought!!


You see, in the States, to remove this coating one must soak their fingers in HOT acetone for 45 minutes and then have the nail technician file them off with a power sander - I kid you not.


So, its Sunday, my first day away from my wonderful children in 15 days 10 hours, 37 minutes and 10 seconds or was it a year. I am off to a Les Mills BodyCombat class. Sure its in Chinese, but I understand the universal language and manage to have a great workout. I change, and head on over to the mall and walk into the nail salon. Let me remind you that my favorite expression is, "There is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity"


I tell the nail lady that I need a fill. We seem to understand each other, I sit and she starts to work. She has no idea what is on my nails. I then make the mistake of saying in Chinese, Nail too long, please make shorter. Apparently that is not what I said, b/c next thing I knew all my nails were clipped off. Yes. I can now type 100 words per minute as I can use my fingertips for the first time in years. The expression of horror transcends many languages and my expression was understood. The tech got upset. After several phone calls and conference phone call with at least 5 people, we were able to agree on just removing what acrylic was left. Mind you, in the states, I said they use HOT acetone and a power sanding. Well this poor girls had to do all the filing by hand. I mean she went thru at least 6 nail files. White powder and 3 hours later, I have a little cut on my finger. The owner makes her discount the already ridiculous low price of 100RMB (about 6.8 USD). She doesn't want to. Can you blame her, she worked hard. Finally she does. I feel terrible, so I try to slip her a tip. That makes it worse. She starts to cry and runs in the bathroom.


Finally I agree not to tip and she finishes my nails with some new funky gradually shiny polish. Not bad really. Remeber, she speaks no English and any pretense I may have had of understanding her has flown right out the window. Here is a pic.


So for the first time since Jackson was born, I am down to my natural nail. I think I will go back next week for a new acrylic coat - that is if they let me in!

No comments: