Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pros and Cons



As we approach the 30 day visa expiration of my first entry into China....I have to decide if 1. I pay lot of money to extend the visa 2. Fly to Hong Kong and then re-enter for the next 30 days...or 3. just go home. So to help make the decision, I came up with a list of pros and cons. I am going to list them here and hope that me decision becomes clear....

Pro – We have a washing machine.
Con – No dryer. Nobody like to wear crunchy clothes, especially underwear. Jackson has the job of beating clothes to soften.

Pro – We have an electric toilet. It heats the seat, cleans, dries and auto flushes among other things.
Con – Every time it performs a function it beeps very, very loudly. Courtesy flushes are next to impossible.

Pro – Everyone has their own room
Con – Denali has the best room and the other two are afraid to sleep alone!!

Pro – I’m not living with my father for the moment
Con – My father is living in my house!

Pro – I have all day everyday with my children
Con – I have all day everyday with my children

Pro – Hundreds of face products to choose from
Con – All labels are in Chinese characters. Most skin products are whitening formula. I thought I was in toothpaste isle.

Pro – I found potato chips
Con – They come in meat or potato flavor?

Pro – We are learning the bus routes
Con – The buses are very crowded and the children like to stand and so who falls first.

Pro – Jackson said yesterday was the greatest day of his life
Con – It was the greatest day of his life because I found pizza for him to eat

Pro – We have a water cooler in the apartment.
Con – The delivery comes with two 20L bottles of water on his motorcycle. He will not leave without empties. I do not know this. After 10 minutes of gesturing and him refusing to leave – I got the point.

Pro – I can take a taxi anywhere in Qingdao, I am getting Pro at communicating.
Con – Every time I get in taxi, I panic – Will I make it to my destination? Where is my destination? OMG what did I do…I should just get out and get on a bus!!! No, I must remain calm; the kids are in the back.

Pro – The kids have started Tae Kwon Do and piano lessons. Both places were very accepting and welcoming. They kids are enjoying them.
Con – I have to leave the apartment and get in a cab or bus and hope I make it to my final destination - Oh no, did I tell the cab driver the wrong thing? Maybe I should just get out and
look at my map again
.

No comments: