Saturday, November 15, 2008

End of Week 1

We made it through our first week. It has been rough, but also exhilarating. Nothing is easy. It's a combination of not speaking the language, not knowing how to do things and not knowing where I am. Most people, except for a taxi driver here and there, are very helpful. I am actually starting to communicate to some extent.


We were able to get to a mall, do some shopping and get home with minor incident. I found and import store and bought some Mac and Cheese and microwave popcorn!!!! My husband told me that if I get stuck or lost I can call him and he will come help. Well, I called him and he was locked outside the apartment and wasn't able to help. McKinley, the sensitive one, started to cry, then it started to rain and the big giant Teddy bears we bought started to get wet!!! It was a busy Friday night and the buses were standing room only- No place for three kids with giant Teddy Bears!!! We went to a hotel , had some tea and waited for cab. My three children and their giant Teddy bears drinking Tea in Qingdao...I had to laugh. We had many people taking our pictures and watching.


The kids aren't quite hungry enough to start eating yet. They will eventually have to eat!!! We went to a Korean BBQ restaurant the other night, Hengboo. Not quite sue what we ate, but it was very tasty. Jackson had absolutely nothing, he actually fell asleep - must be lack of nutrition.


I am getting to the point where I can look at a map and figure things out. It takes three maps to navigate. One has the landmarks, the second is written in semi-English and the third has the necessary information, but is completely in Chinese. What, they didn't know I was coming and didn't have a map made for me.


I found a health club...downstairs from the Health Club I signed the kids up for Tae Kwon Do. I spend 8 hours driving around Qingdao looking for a place for Denali to gymnastics. We found some bars (outside) at the University and an area on the beach where she has been working her back tucks and front handsprings. She hates me. If you know Denali though, that is nothing new.


I've learned alot.. I am going to have personal business cards made up and I bought a business card portfolio. We get cards from every place we go so that we can get back there. Just show the card to the cab driver. Well, I am off to try my first Chinese Fitness Class...Wish me luck!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, Did you mention that your father is staying in your house? Your pictures are beautiful! If I had one of your cab experiences I'd stay IN THE CONDO for 6 months!
Becca

hennhouse said...

I really admire what you're doing, and no less easy with 3 kids in tow...Great beach pictures. You'll have to write a book about your experiences. By the time you guys get home, you'll be fluent in the language. We're all supporting you here. Shoot an email sometime and we can chat.

Wendy

Unknown said...

Jill...Did you mention that your father is staying at your house? I am so jealous that you are having this fun trip for the next few months and I have to take step class with out you busting our buns! Thanks so much for blogging and keeping us up to date with all your adventures.


Brenda